Charles W. Finkl Scholarship Program
Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation (FIERF) has established the Charles W. Finkl Scholarship Program to assist college juniors and seniors, with select majors, pursue their postsecondary education. Renewable scholarships are offered for full-time study at an accredited institution of the student’s choice.
How to Donate
To make a contribution to the Charles W. Finkl Scholarship Program, contact the Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation at 216.781.6260 to donate by credit card or send your contribution to:
Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation
1111 Superior Avenue, Suite 615
Cleveland, OH 44114
This scholarship program is administered by Scholarship America, the nation’s largest designer and manager of scholarship, tuition assistance and other education support programs for corporations, foundations, associations and individuals. Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, disability, or national origin.
Application Submission Deadline: April 15, 2018
Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation has partnered with Scholarship America to assist students. Clicking “APPLY NOW” will bring you to Scholarship America’s Student Portal.
APPLICANTS MUST BE:
- Current college sophomores or college juniors.
- Enrolling full-time at an accredited four-year college or university for the entire upcoming academic year.
- Majoring in chemical, computer, electrical, industrial, materials, mechanical, or metallurgical engineering.
- Citizens of Canada, Mexico or the United States.
- Maintaining a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 or above, on a 4.0 scale.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive:
- An award in the amount of $4,000 over two years.
- Awards are renewable for up to one additional year or until a bachelor's degree is earned, whichever occurs first, on the basis of:
- A full-time academic schedule,
- Maintaining a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent),
- And continuing to pursue an eligible course of study.
- Students entering their senior year may apply to receive a one-year scholarship (or two years of support if enrolled in a five-year program).
- No more than three (3) new awards will be granted to students from a single magnet school each year.
- Seventy-five percent (75%) of awards will be granted to applicants attending one of FIERF's magnet schools.
- Applicants may apply to both the Charles W. Finkl Fund Scholarship and the Forging Industry Women's Scholarship but are not eligible to receive both. In the event an applicant would have been awarded both, the Women's Scholarship will take preference and be awarded.
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of:
- academic record
- demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities
- work experience
- statement of goals and aspirations
- unusual personal or family circumstances
- letter of recommendation
- personal statement
Credit will be given to applicants who have worked or interned at an industry Forging Industry Association (FIA) Member Company.
Financial need is not considered.
Selection of recipients is made by FIERF. All applicants agree to accept the decision of FIERF and Scholarship America as final.
Applicants will be notified in late June. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients.
Payment of Scholarships
Scholarship America processes Charles W. Finkl Scholarship payments on behalf of FIERF. Payment is made in one installment in early August.
As part of your application, you must upload the following documents by April 15, 2018:
- A current, complete transcript of grades. Grade reports are not accepted. Transcripts must display student name, school name, grade and credit hours earned for each course, and term in which each course was taken.
Also as part of your application, one online recommendation must be submitted on your behalf by April 19, 2018.
Your application is not complete unless all required documents are submitted electronically.