1. What is the deadline to apply? Scholarship applications are available online beginning February 3. Applications and supporting documents must be submitted by 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time on March 31, 2020 through the Scholarship America Hub.
2. What supporting documents must be submitted? As part of the application, all applicants must upload a transcript of grades and a copy of the 1040 tax form (pages 1 and 2) used to complete the financial section.
*FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), SAR (Student Aid Report) and EFC (Expected Family Contribution) documentation are not necessary and should not be uploaded.
3. How can I obtain my transcripts? Applicants must send the most recent transcript from their high school or college. Applicants should request transcripts as soon as possible from an academic advisor, school counselor, the school registrar or the admissions and records office. Applications without transcripts will not be considered.
4. If I withdraw from school, what do I do about the scholarship? A student who withdraws from school or enrolls in less than a full-time course load must notify the Van R. Johnson Sutter Scholars program manager immediately. Any unused portion of a scholarship should be returned to the Van R. Johnson Sutter Scholars program if a student withdraws from classes or does not enroll full-time. Scholarship awards cannot be deferred until the following academic year.
Additionally, you must immediately notify the Van R. Johnson Sutter Scholars program manager if you change enrollment plans (e.g., instead of attending a four-year university you instead elect to attend a community college). Changes to your enrollment plans may decrease your scholarship award. For example: If the student is awarded a scholarship in Program I and changes to a two-year school, the award will decrease to $1,000, provided financial need is still demonstrated.
5. If I receive a scholarship for one year, will I automatically receive that award for the following year? No, students must apply each year and comply with all application requirements to be considered for an award. Prior recipients may or may not receive an award. If a prior recipient is selected to be a current recipient, the award amount may not necessarily be the same as the previous year.
6. How many times can I apply for an award from the Van R. Johnson Sutter Scholars program? Students may receive four years worth of scholarship funding from the Van R. Johnson Sutter Scholars Program. Students who have received an award during any four academic years are not eligible to receive further scholarship funds.
7. What happens after I submit my Van R. Johnson Sutter Scholars application? Applicants will receive an email confirming submission of the application. Recipients will be notified of their final award status at the end of June 2020 via U.S. mail to the home address provided on the submitted application and non-recipients will receive notice via email.